Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Friday, February 25, 2005

What's in a name?

I am finding that I have an increasingly good memory for names. I must see quite a few hundred people over the course of my week. Employees and visitors at work and loads of people at church constantly having to remember who they are and who they're here to see. I've noticed that for some of them, I remember their surname, some I remember just their first name, others I remember both. Some names I don't even remember at all, which leaves me thinking that there couldn't have been made a significant connection in my brain... there was this one guy whose surname I couldn't remember, but then suddenly, I conjoured up an image in my mind that would help me associate name to face - He's called Simon DOWLING, you know, after FATHER DOWLING INVESTIGATES? I just can't forget that name now. Sometimes I remember what their name is by who they're here to see... Mr King always comes to visit the Print Room, Steve always tells me to call him Steve and not by his surname, which only means I remember his surname even more... Mr Saunders nearly always asks for Mr Moir... you get the idea. Anyway, I've been working where I work not very long at all, since August, and I know the visitors and the employees better than the girls who have worked here for six years. It is frightening to see how their listening and observation skills differ so dramatically from my own. Ah well, sometimes I think this kind of job suits me so well - put a friendly, sparkly face at the forefront of your organisation and you're onto a winner.

Plus, it really helps when all the Kates in church go to your midweek group... we've got about five of them! Kat, Kate, Kate, Katie and... oooh dear, I forgot the last one...

1 Comments:

  • At 7:33 pm, Blogger Calia77 said…

    We are swamped with Hannah's (I live with one of them), and used to be flooded with Jo's, though now we're cutting down on them! Still - the original's the best!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home