Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Friday, November 12, 2004

Remaining childlike, yet growing up

You know that feeling you get when a film has just finished and the credits are just starting to roll? The first chord of the theme tune resounds and you are left staring blankly at the names of the cast scrolling before you. Its a hopeful feeling tinged with melancholy, yet you know that in a few minutes you will get up out of your seat, make your way down the popcorn strewn aisles, past the sweet counter and sometimes even without saying a word to your companions, get into the car and return to your actual life.

Do you think perhaps sometimes that reality is located in those moments? Those moments of longing and reflection? When something deeper calls to you; when you get a glimpse of a reality just beyond your reach; of that lesson you have yet to learn, of that key to your past that you have to surrender, to lose, to leave behind, to let go of...?

I wonder sometimes if this life I live is merely the dream, and the reality is to be found in the backstage adventures of the heart? The fairytales and fables, stories of heroes and sacrifices. What if you never returned to your actual life? What if you left that cinema changed forever?

I'm getting that restless feeling all over again, that I want my life to pick up momentum, to graduate to the next phase. And like Mary Poppins, I can feel the wind changing. Its time to grow up. Its time to be the hero. Its time to step into my own movie.

Perhaps every lesson we learn, every paradigm shift, every new phase of our lives that begins, every saying goodbye to one thing and moving on to another is one of a series of little movies that represents our lives? Sometimes you can't say exactly what you've lost, or what you've learned, but only acknowledge that you've changed. And I believe there is a romance to that.

I know I'm still going to live like I'm fighting dragons. There isn't another way to do it. I do believe in angels. I do believe in heroes. I do believe in holding on to your childhood dreams.

One day it will all work out. One day my dreams will come true. In many ways, they already have. Thank you, God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home