Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Pouting, Prunes and Married Men

Why is it that a girl co-ordinating her lipstick to her outfit is sometimes the recipient of the most outrageous comments?

For two consecutive days, and in a bid to rekindle the joys of summer, I have been wearing bright red and bright pink shirts. This works particularly well with the requisite black suit for a smart receptionist. And this trend has carried on into my casual every day wear.

Needless to say, upon seeing my red red red lips, a friend's husband exclaimed in a rather exhuberant manner, 'WOW! How fantastically lucious your lips look!' not only once, but in fact did not cease until he left the house. His wife was not there at the time, and although I'm sure she would have agreed and not worried about it, I must say that I felt quite uncomfortable!

For, as a single girl in anticipation of finding a mate in the next few years, being considered a sexually alluring by someone who was already married, and about 10 years my senior was quite disconcerting. Especially in the instance that I don't tend to get that reaction from unmarried men.. why not? Even my married friend Tim commented upon how stunning I looked at the time. So, single men, please feel free to comment upon how gorgeous I am looking, thanks. A bloke in the coffee cart just about managed a, 'You've got lipstick on your teeth...' Gee, thanks, not quite the same thing.

In regards to the wife of the gentleman who commented upon my lips: she was the one who taught me how to conceive the most perfect of pouts. The secret is to say, under your breath, the word 'Prunes' whilst looking directly at your subject of choice. Go on, try it... a bit like those Victorian exercises that gave a maid a modest expression.. what was it? Prunaprismia and Vimini Pimini? Oh, I have learned so much from Serena Wombat!

Back to the old drawing board with the yet to be written song, 'Thursday Night with Married Men' (devised at a similar time as 'I fancy Time Travellers' - see earlier post) and my favourite exclamation... 'I get on well with married men, if only i was married to one...'

3 Comments:

  • At 11:18 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    Niminy piminy, niminy piminy.

    I suppose the alternative to this in the modern age is the vacant kind of half-open-mouthed pout favoured by Page 3 girls and Victoria Beckham. The expression that I (with my usual foul-mouthed vulgarity) call a "c*cks*cker mouth". Damn, I hate that.

     
  • At 11:27 am, Blogger Soaring said…

    Yes, why do a) guys like that and b)women think it is attractive in the least to represent oneself as sexually available, to anyone who fancies having a go? Its disgusting, frankly and we should put a stop to it.

    I saw some disgracefully coquettish photographs of Sarah Michelle Gellar
    (http://www.buffy.nu/article.php3?id_article=6922) featured in a mens mag recently and it just makes me sick to think that women these days are still subjected to being represented in this manner!!! urg!

    Isabella Rossellini on the other hand has got nothing to worry about.

     
  • At 11:55 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    I don't know whether you saw the article in the Observer magazine about the photographer Terry Richardson?

    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1327492,00.html

    some of his photos are provocative in the extreme. One in particular (pictured in the magazine - I would find you a link, but a quick google has adivsed me that this might not be wise from work) is of an attractive woman, holding onto a cow's udder in the act of squirting milk into her mouth.... the shot is of her looking straight to camera with a jet of milk coming from the teat into her mouth, overflowing and dribbling down her chin. This was used in pretty mainstream advertising (miu miu or something like that).

    amazing isn't it? Remember when you could be "sexy" without being so unsubtle?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home