Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Monday, October 18, 2004

Happy Franks

A discussion over Sunday lunch yesterday had got me thinking... It all began with a limerick...

There once was a lady called Thatcher
Who ran so fast no one could catch her
Mid-way through a sprint
She choked on a mint
And prayed that the Lord would dispatch her

What this has to do with silly names I can't remember... but the point was it spurned a discussion about how I wanted to be called Semolina Franks. Or Nutty Muscovado. Then my writer friend enquired whether that meant the character had to be true to their name, and that it might be quite inconvenient for sake of the plot. I pointed out that on the contrary, the character could behave in direct oppossition to the implications that their name brings. I mean for goodness sake! Having a suicidal entertainer called Happy Franks (Played by Steve Buscemi in THE IMPOSTORS), is actually quite funny.

Well, I was vaguely amused... and the session also did spurn countless variations of limericks to do with young felines and time travellers....

Clearly I have nothing better to think about, it even spills into my social life.


3 Comments:

  • At 8:32 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    I'd quite like to be called Florence Lavrenti. I don't know why. I just like the sound of it.

     
  • At 2:10 pm, Blogger Soaring said…

    That's quite a fetching name. Didn't you once write a character called Mozarella?

     
  • At 2:52 pm, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    I did! And her father's name was Mr Herbert Harris Herbert-Harris.

    I must dig that story out and tart it up a bit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home