Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Belleville Rendezvous

I am so excited by my newest purchase of this classically animated gem. I first saw it on BBC2 last Christmas (so I believe) and it totally captured my imagination. It is a dark tale of kidnap and misadventure, and reminiscent of the old Pink Panther cartoons, except with better animation. It is a delightful story, with very little dialogue, and a rather endearing little grandma and her dog. See it if you can... here's a taster of what it looks like: Rendezvous.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:29 am, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    Yes, a very good, very odd, very well-made film. I like the bit at the beginning with the old footage of the triplets singing in the club, and the Josephine Baker-style dancer. If you've ever seen any of the really early Popeye cartoons, you can tell that's what the Belleville animators were paying homage to.

     
  • At 4:42 pm, Blogger The Num Num said…

    I shall endeavour to catch it.

    I am rather fond of Finding Nemo right now. I really like the lady fish, she's so funny, especially when she speaks whale. The sharks are hilarious.

    I imagine Finding Nemo is not quite the same as Belleville, but hey, they're both cartoons right?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home