Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

How can a whole government resign?

My goodness, this is nothing I ever blog about, but things are a bit historic at the moment. I actually know close to nothing about what is going on in the world, not really enough to comment or even form an opinion, but one thing I know a little about is Lebanon. It is the country of my birth and as such it is important that I inform myself. So when I see pictures of thousands of flag waving patriotic Lebanese people actually making a stance against a government who may not be making decisions based on the welfare and desires of the entire nation - you get the point, it brings tears to my eyes. But the main point is - the entire cabinet just resigned! Huh? I mean when does that happen? Its total madness, and very exciting to see democracy in action, especially in the Middle East!

The thing is, I barely understand these things, let alone the sentiments of the Lebanese people. I've never lived there, I've visited once or twice in my lifetime, which in itself is shameful, I suppose. I must say, I understand little to do with the culture, apart from the food which is delicious... But it has made an impact really. I haven't even asked my folks what they think about the whole thing, but they've been living here for near on 30 years, longer than my mum at least has spent in Lebanon.

I will question her and then re-post about this self-same topic. Swiss Toni, you are politically astute - any chance of a brief summary of the situation?

2 Comments:

  • At 5:03 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    hallo kiddo.

    Sorry I'm late.

    Erm.

    politically astute? but I talk about weeing in the sink and stuff!

    There is a fantastic guide to the Middle East on the Guradian website somewhere though - taught me all I know about the Arab/Israeli conflict for one thing. Not sure what they have on Lebanon, but I bet they have something.

    either that, or try the Urban Fox - Fox is much, much more astute and aware than me.

    You are a sweetie though.

    ST

     
  • At 5:14 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

Post a Comment

<< Home