Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Four Weddings and I'm getting a bit bored now...

Actually, there have been more like seven this year, not to mention all the wedding dresses and bridesmaids I have corsetted into the next century. I'm starting to get a little fed up! I mean, I'm all for a good celebration, and yes, I cried at practically all of them. But I've seen enough confetti, heard enough speeches and gotten excited about enough table decorations to see me through till the next decade.

The thing is, after the last party, I got really quite upset, no less becuase I thought that the lack of interest from members of the opposite sex was a reflection of my attractiveness. How on earth do we deceive ourselves into believing that this is true? I suppose there are slim pickings in the social group I hang around in, not to mention the fact that four of the weddings I attended revovled around the same social group? Perhaps this is why it is so depressing - literally all my friends are getting married, and those young men who are left I've already eliminated for one reason or the other.

The question is, why do we expect so much when we go to weddings? I do love a good celebration, but there is nothing better to rub salt in the wound of singleness. OK, OK, to make singleness seem like a wound, then... There is nothing worse than showing up at a wedding dateless, but the fates are just not being kind to me this year.

My nerves had started to wear a little thin after the last one - one chap was rude to me, and another was making his discomfort about being in my presence quite clear, especially since he showed a bit of an interest at the last wedding! Well, I started to take things personally after that and got really rather upset. NOt only at their lack of manners, but no less the fact that it still wasn't my turn, even though I am an average of at least 5 years older than the other singletons around. I tried not to let it bother me, but I guess turning 30 and still lacking boyfriend has finally taken its toll.

On one hand, I know that this means that there are good things still to come. But the fact of weddings just makes me think, 'When?' and the more I go to, the less likely it seems, especially that I'm not meeting any new eligible batchelors.

My friend C says that I won't find a bloke until I'm totally happy with myself. But I'm not sure that is the reason, because there are so many people out there who aren't happy with themselves who still manage to find someone. Plus, I'm so much happier with myself than I used to be. And who is to say I'll ever be truly happy with myself? So if that logic prevails, then I will never meet anyone becuase there is always something still left to perfect.

So hogwash to all of that nonsense. I go through phases of getting upset about not having anyone, and it just seems that weddings make the feeling worse. Thank the Lord that this year has been an exceptional year for weddings and I won't have to go through it again next year. I guess I'll just have to hope that either I stop getting upset, or that I'll be next in line... what do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home