Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Into the swing of things...

Righty ho, I'm feeling quite a lot more positive now that my new way of thinking is starting to sink in. I'm starting to posess it, to agree with it. I'm starting to realise that it is actually the only way to peace of mind and a good quality of life.

I mean, why for so long in my life have I neglected my body and my finances? Why have I negelected to look after my physical needs? I don't know. I don't know the answers to that. But it doesn't matter, I've got to move on. I now see that if I want the results that I've been dreaming about pretty much all my life, then the investment has got to be LONG TERM. Ok, this is not a new concept. We all know that if we do a little bit of what is important every day, we'll get a massive change in the long run.

I suppose I've never been really very encouraged by this. I've been resisting the laws of agriculture - you know in Ecclesiastes and that popular 1960s song, it says, 'There is a season for everything... a time to sow, and a time to reap etc...' and of course becuase my expectations have been so skewed, I've been disappointed that effort does not equal results quickly enough. Whether this has to do with plain impatience, or stubborness or stupidity, I have no idea. Perhaps a combination of all three. It was almost too painful to believe that if I wanted to lose weight or get better grades I actually had to work consistently. I've never been very good at that, see... I've never been very good at doing what is important. I've been easily distracted and lacking in focus, even though I have strong dreams, strong desires and a strong will. It has never really all come together before.

Well, this new attitude, this new embracing of the laws of agriculture is quite exciting to me. And my behaviour is actually changing!!! I'm suddenly at peace, knowing that I am doing all that I can at the moment to move myself to a better place. Instead of expecting myself to be an expert straight away, I'm finally happy with taking my time to build up to starting level!!! It is totally crazy and liberating. I mean, I love Callanetics (toning exercises) but they are a real killer. 100 reps of each exercise etc. But, using one of my strongest skills (being a strategist), I have mapped out a realistic 10 week programme that will have me doing 100 reps in every exercise. By the end of it, I should be mastering the routine. Bit by bit, week by week. I'm actually allowing myself to push my limitis incrementally. I'm not overdoing it. I'm not expecting more of myself than I can deliver. In the long run, I WILL be able to deliver more, but not without this foundational stage. And it goes for every area of my life.

I'm just starting to build things up, to congratulate myself for moving forward in several aspects of life... I have to sort out my body, my finances and my career. And I'm using techniques for all these areas that work on the same basis - little and often. I mean, I've been keeping every receipt and noting down everything I spend for about two years now. Quite strictlly. It has now become a habit. But I haven't been able to monitor what I've been spending becuase I'm about six months behind with the books!!! So, all I have to do is visualise where I want to be financially, and start to elevate the importance of these three areas in my life which I have neglected for so long.

Why have I neglected them for so long?

I have no idea. I really don't have a clue why I haven't been able to get my act together sooner. But I've decided that these things are really important if I'm going to be a useful member of society. Not only will I be happier, but others will benefit more becuase of it too. It is important that I'm fit and healthy, financially stable, have good relationships, and an appropriate to my skills and intelligence career, not to mention making a contribution to the church (and wider) community.

Oooh, I've got a mission! Its a big project, but I think by this time next year I'm going to be sorted in so many areas that I never thought I would be. I will certainly be well on my way.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:45 pm, Blogger Calia77 said…

    It's a microwave society - we are now programmed to have instant messaging, phone calls on the move, fast food, microwave meals, TV dinners. No wonder we expect results NOW! But God works at a different pace... Patience is a virtue, and so is purpose and committment (something that I could do with a bit more of as I'm a microwave kinda girl!). I'm starting to think that meditation's the answer - slowing down to be with God, a choice and a decision to be made, spending time with God... just you and Him, with nothing to do but chat.
    And who knows? Maybe that will change our pace, and slow us down! It is stops me being a stress-head, that'd be great!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home