Arabic Sweet

Learning to be more serene...

Monday, July 04, 2005

NSVs

What on earth are NSVs I hear you ask? WEll, they are Non Scale Victories. You know, those little victories, the tiny little changes that make you think that you're on to a winner. Know what I mean? For example, a chap in church yesterday who I don't really know more than to say hi to said, 'You're looking really well!' - that is most definately an NSV!!! Hurrah! When people start noticing, then that's brilliant. Also, things like putting on a pair of jeans I haven't tried on for ages and finding that they actually fit! They're not one hundred per cent as baggy as they used to be, but here's counting! Not long now.

Also, things like remembering how the clothes you wear every day are fitting slightly looser, like my work trousers.

I suppose this could translate into other areas of life. I mean, if you used to be a smoker, clothes smell really fresh or if you used to spend lots and always be in debt, you are in the black most of the time... that kind of thing. I mean, how do you know that things are changing for the better? What are the tiny little differences that don't necessarily show up on the scales, or in the mirror, but you know are happening?

I suppose they are measures of success other than the most obvious ones...

4 Comments:

  • At 12:06 pm, Blogger Calia77 said…

    Yes indeed! Like being told that you're looking great, even when you're hot, sweaty and sticky and can only think about falling into your bed. Like having money left in your bank account the day before you got paid. Like being told that someone you respect thinks that you're a great asset to their mid-week group.

    They all add up, and a great things to hang on to when you're feeling rubbish!

     
  • At 3:22 am, Blogger Tom Reindl said…

    I think success is measured by how well you are able to accept who and what you are as you are. All the rest falls into place once you do that.

    Jesus said, "seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness, and all these other things will be added unto you". I think that means that Kingdom living is accepting what we are, that we are loved just as we are, and that once that part of our life is well ordered, the rest will fall into place.

    Do you know that God is absolutely, insanely, jealously in love with you? That your flesh is not who you are? Of course you do. Now, can you live as though you know that? Because once your "life" is ordered" like that, will getting to the right size matter as much? And if it doesn't matter as much, what then?

    Right now, you, as we all do, have an image of you that you don;t like. But this image isn't the truth. That's why the emotions kick up the moment you fall, because you feel the failure in the deep part of your soul. But that emotion is a reaction to something that isn't true.

    You are working really, really hard to get to a place that cannot be reached through direct effort, because the problem isn't your weight, sister. The problem is the iamge you have created of yourself. And that image is keeping you locked up in prison. That image is an imposter, it's not the real you. Want to be free?

    I understand these small victories. I really do. But imagine a really, really, huge victory. That's what is in store for you, and you WILL have it. We are all going to get there. And when we do, the "weight" we carry will be put into it's proper place.

    I would have you stop trying to uphold some image that isn't the truth, or trying to reach some image that won't fulfill you. I would have you gain the Kingdom in your every day life, and then see what you can all accomplish. You are not a physical being having a spiritual experience, Soaring. You are a spiritual being having a physical experience, which means, basically, that you are already weightless.

     
  • At 1:41 pm, Blogger Soaring said…

    Hey Tom, thanks for the encouragement! I think one point you underestimate is a) God didn't make me fat, it was my sin and b) sometimes it takes a while to wake up to the strongholds that God wants to break in your life. My next post will be about this.

     
  • At 7:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have recently been introduced to the world of blogs, and find yours to be one of the most insightful that I have read thus farI. I am awaiting your next blog entry with bated breath--SOON, please (I hope).

    MD in MN

     

Post a Comment

<< Home